I’ve never been a “gym rat,” and I don’t think I ever will be. Joining a gym is something that I have done in the past but somehow having little kids and finding extra time, I never made it there. Now that my kids are all in school, getting to the gym is much easier for me so I signed up AGAIN.
This time feels different, I have the time- if I choose to make the time. I’m working on consistency, getting to the gym 2-3 times a week. The treadmill is my favorite so far, as well as the recumbent bike…the elliptical, not so much!
Here’s what I’ve learned so far…
1. The gym is NOT the place you go to look and smell pretty. Truth be told, I worried about showing my face in public without make up and with bedhead. Guess what? NOBODY CARES! I realized that it’s a badge of honor if you’re sweaty, drippy and red faced!
2. Bringing music to your workout is INSPIRING!! I only allow myself to listen to my IPOD while I’m working out, so it’s a real treat when I run into a song that really gets me going. My kids and I share an itunes account so I have many of their songs on my playlist. It’s good to listen to new and different music!
3. Talking to a friend who works out next to you will inspire you to walk further and get a better workout!
4. Laugh at yourself when you try a new class and can’t get the steps right!!
5. It’s not a good idea to move and groove to the music while walking on the treadmill….no further explanation needed!!!
Leave me a comment and let me know what your favorite workout is! Treadmill? Running Outside? Yoga? Please share!