I grew up in the midwest and the BEST place to celebrate your birthday was at a restaurant called Happy Joe’s Pizza & Ice Cream Parlor! Happy Joes had the BEST pizza around AND they also served ice cream, so it was a child’s dream!! Many of my friends that have moved away from my home town still talk about their Taco Pizza and ALWAYS stop by when they’re back in town to have a tasty & nostalgic piece of Taco Pizza!
A few years back I wanted to surprise my Dad with the Taco Pizza (a favorite of his) so I called the restaurant and asked for the recipe. While they wouldn’t give me exact measurements, they did offer up a few of the secrets that make the pizza so good! So, here is my Taco Pizza recipe, inspired by Happy Joe’s Pizza and Ice Cream Parlor. Enjoy!!
P.S. You can make your own crust, but I used Boboli Pizza Crust!!
- Boboli Pizza crust
- ½ cup Refried beans
- ½ cup Taco sauce
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- Shredded Lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Taco flavored Doritos
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef, drain any excess fat. Add taco seasoning and a little water. When it is cooked through, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place pizza crust on pizza pan
- Mix refried beans, taco sauce and pizza sauce and spread on crust
- Add meat on top of sauce
- Layer mozzarella cheese then Monterrey Jack cheese.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Let pizza sit a bit and then slice the pizza
- Add lettuce, tomatoes, and roughly crushed Doritos.
Hope you give this one a try!! It’s a family favorite of ours!!
Wishing you a GREAT day!!
Linking up with This is how we roll.