Hi Friends!! Today I’m joining Shay & Erika on their monthly link up – Let’s Look: How we host holiday parties!
It’s December and I’ve always wanted to have a cookie decorating party for my family! A friend of mine’s Mom does this every year, so I tried to get some hints and tips from her to make it a real success!
Here’s how it started.
The cookie decorating party in December was perfect this time of the year because we had all of our Christmas decor up! Yes, we decided to dress in a festive way to make it more fun!!
A good party needs some good food. I don’t think you have to make a huge fancy meal, but have a few yummies to munch on. This day I made a couple of different kinds of baked sandwiches, grapes, chips and 2 soups- potato soup & sweet potato chili. Seating was casual and as always, people gathered in the kitchen around the kitchen island. The kitchen really IS the heart of the home.
With a big group, I like to have different activities going on so everyone feels comfortable.
- We had lots of cookies to decorate- I baked them the day before and set them out along with frosting, sprinkles, etc.
- We are in Wisconsin, so we had the Packer game on in the living room. The guys were really into that! They actually got a win that day, so I suggested they come over EVERY Sunday to keep the winning streak going!!
- Some of the littles wanted to color, so Grandma was happy to make that happen, too!!
- With our family together, there’s usually a lot of catching up to do. We chat about the kids and what they’re up to, plans for the Holidays, and even some talk about the stock market. Ha!! There just happened to be an impromptu push-up contest to keep things interesting! I bet you can’t guess who won!!
- Having a new puppy is entertainment in itself! Combine the puppy with our older dog and you’ll really get some good laughs!!
Most of the guys headed downstairs after the cookie decorating and watching the game to play a little ping pong. The ladies let their hubbies take the kids down there too so we could finish off decorating all of the cookies! My daughter in laws are SO CREATIVE!!
Check out this one. A gingerbread person in an ugly sweater!!!
Hope you enjoyed seeing our party! See you next week!