I’ve never been a “gym rat,” and I don’t think I ever will be. Joining a gym is something that I have done in the past but somehow having little kids and finding extra time, I never made it there. Now that my kids are all in school, getting to the gym is much easier for me so I signed up AGAIN.
This time feels different, I have the time- if I choose to make the time. I’m working on consistency, getting to the gym 2-3 times a week. The treadmill is my favorite so far, as well as the recumbent bike…the elliptical, not so much!
Here’s what I’ve learned so far…
1. The gym is NOT the place you go to look and smell pretty. Truth be told, I worried about showing my face in public without make up and with bedhead. Guess what? NOBODY CARES! I realized that it’s a badge of honor if you’re sweaty, drippy and red faced!
2. Bringing music to your workout is INSPIRING!! I only allow myself to listen to my IPOD while I’m working out, so it’s a real treat when I run into a song that really gets me going. My kids and I share an itunes account so I have many of their songs on my playlist. It’s good to listen to new and different music!
3. Talking to a friend who works out next to you will inspire you to walk further and get a better workout!
4. Laugh at yourself when you try a new class and can’t get the steps right!!
5. It’s not a good idea to move and groove to the music while walking on the treadmill….no further explanation needed!!!
Leave me a comment and let me know what your favorite workout is! Treadmill? Running Outside? Yoga? Please share!
Sue Mackey says
You go, girlfriend! I’ll be on the sidelines cheering you on….in my chair….in the shade….with an iced tea!
Thanks, Mom! You crack me up!!
Sorry, Jill, one of my favorites is the elliptical actually. Also, if your gym offers classes, I really enjoy spinning/cycling. And good for you on making a commitment to exercise….I’m having a hard time getting back into the swing of things with the new little one at home. It’s hard to find the time!
Hi April…I’m happy to hear someone likes the elliptical!! I spent 6 minutes on it the other day and I was DONE! I’m going to try to increase my time by 30 seconds each week- how’s that for a plan?!! Anyway, just keep lovin’ those little girlies of yours, that’s what’s important right now!! and Tony, too, of course!!
All so true! Can I throw in that I really thought I was a pretty good dancer until I took a Zumba class….at a dance studio….with an instructor who teaches dance….and we did this in front of full mirror walls? What a reality check! It was so funny and I realized my body didn’t look quite the way I thought when moving. But, I totally love the class and crack up laughing regularly (which helps the core muscles at the same time)!!
Those mirrors keep us humble!!