I love my dogs SO much and I want to give them treats, but I worry about the ingredients in the treats. As you saw last week on my blog, one of the items on my Summer Bucket List was to make home made dog treats- so I DID IT! They turned out well….the treats are more chewy than crunchy so less mess on the floor, and I’m all for that!! Our little dog usually gets a corner of the dog treat and the big dog gets the rest!!
Here are the ingredients that you will need
(printable recipe below)
Throw ingredients in a bowl and mix together until well blended.
Add a little flour to your kitchen counter top, work into the dough and flatten the dough until it’s about 1/2 inch thick.
Use cookie cutter of any size or shape to cut out the treats and lay on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. The treats don’t rise much, so you can pack these treats on the pan pretty close together. (yes, I had to look up whether to use the word raise or rise… hope I got it right!)
Just before sliding your pan into the oven, poke the treats with a fork to add a cute touch to the look of the treat! (Totally not necessary though!)
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 18- 20 minutes.
Because there are no preservatives in these treats, I chose to only take out 7 at a time and put the rest in the freezer.
Minnie had the will power to leave the treats alone so she could smile for the picture! She’s my cute little Ewok!!
** Recipe credit given to Rosanna Pansino
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- More flour for rolling out the dough
- Combine flour, egg and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add water, peanut butter and honey- mix well.
- Sprinkle flour on the surface of the kitchen counter.
- Incorporate some of the flour into the dough and roll it out until it's ½ inch thick.
- Cut shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and use fork to decorate treats.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
- Use only a few at a time and freeze the rest for best results.
See you next week!!