As much as I want my kids to eat healthfully, many times I resort to prepackaged food to send to school as a snack.
All I have to do is simply take a look at the ingredients that are listed in the prepackaged food to know that it’s probably not the best choice for my family. Here are the ingredients listed in a typical granola bar.
I was perusing the internet and found this granola bar recipe on a blogger’s website for homemade granola bars and decided to try it, and it was a HUGE hit, so I thought I would pass it along!
It’s a versatile recipe that you can mix and match ingredients that your family likes. Now here’s the great part…
IT ONLY HAS 7 INGREDIENTS AND YOU CAN PRONOUNCE THEM ALL!!
Here’s the printable recipe if you want to try it!
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 4 cups dry oats (I used quick cooking oats)
- 1 cup (or less) mini chocolate chips
- 1 stick of butter
- ½ cup honey
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix Rice Krispies and Oats- mix well
- In a pan on the stove top, melt the stick of butter and add honey and brown sugar
- Cook for 2 minutes until mixture is incorporated
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and stir
- Pour sauce over oats mixture and stir together
- Allow to cool a few minutes, then add the chocolate chips
- Press into a greased 9x13 pan- press hard so the mixture will stay together when cut
- Cool on the counter
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes before cutting
- Cut bars and serve
- Feel free to add ingredients like coconut, craisins, raisins, etc.!